What a mess! The Republican party is showing how fractured it is between social conservatives and party elites who just want to defeat President Obama. Last night’s Iowa Caucus – the first election of the political season – wound up in a virtual tie between social conservative Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney, leaving all the others, except for perhaps Ron Paul, in the dust.
This morning, Michele Bachmann announced her decision to quit the race, effectively allowing the anybody-but-Romney religious right to throw their support behind Mr. Santorum, thereby increasing his numbers. Meanwhile, former presidential candidate Senator John McCain formally endorsed Mitt Romney.
Senator McCain – in his usual headline-stealing style – chose to announce his support for Romney during a televised speech by President Obama this morning, probably hoping the networks would leave the president to cover him (they didn’t, they instead just split the screen). This move may not play well for Mr. Romney in the general election.
One thing for sure, the G.O.P. race this year is entertaining – like a clown car sort of entertaining, that is.
- A.M. Links: Romney, Santorum, and Paul Take Iowa; Perry Suspends Campaign; Bachmann to Drop Out; McCain to Endorse Romney (reason.com)
- McCain To Endorse Romney Tomorrow (buzzfeed.com)
- GOP Official: McCain to Endorse Romney (myfoxphoenix.com)
- You: Romney, With a Tight Win, Goes to N.H. (nytimes.com)
- What We Learned in Iowa (newser.com)
- Romney’s ceiling is John McCain (themoderatevoice.com)
- Republican official: McCain to endorse Romney (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Breaking News: John McCain to travel to New Hampshire to endorse Governor Romney (bazaardaily.com)
- Iowa Caucus Final Tally: Mitt Romney Pulls It Off Over Rick Santorum With 8 Votes (mediaite.com)
- Bachmann, Perry plan to head south after Iowa vote (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Rep. Michele Bachmann Calls it Quits (fox4kc.com)
- I Quit: Bachmann’s Big Announcement (bilerico.com)
- Bachmann cancels SC trip after poor Iowa finish (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Perry ready to quit but Bachmann may prolong the misery (capitolhillblue.com)
- Michele Bachmann drops out of 2012 presidential race (thegrio.com)
- Bachmann quits race, says she’ll fight for issues (newsok.com)
- Bachmann quits race, says she’ll fight for issues (troyrecord.com)
- Michele Bachmann quits presidential race after Iowa caucus results (pennlive.com)
- Mitt Romney beats Rick Santorum by 8 votes in Iowa caucus (pennlive.com)
- Bachmann Withdraws UPDATE: Anti-Romney Alliance? (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Bachmann quits GOP race; Romney on to NH (newsok.com)
- Bachmann’s Decline: What Happened? (usnews.com)
- Vander Plaats Calls On Gingrich, Bachmann To ‘Reassess’ Candidacies After Santorum’s Iowa Finish (thinkprogress.org)
- Mitt Romney Wins Iowa Caucus by 8 Votes (inquisitr.com)