“I became aware of Keith’s political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay,” said MSNBC TV President Phil Griffin, according to MSNBC.com
Olbermann admitted he gave the maximum amount to 3 candidates including the candidate who ran unsuccessfully against Tea Party winner Rand Paul of Kentucky.
NBC News and MSNBC did the right thing in this case whether or not you agree with their political commentary. The policy prohibits “anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest,” according to MSNBC.com. MSNBC / NBC News policy requires that all employees obtain approval first before engaging in political contributions.
MSNBC / NBC News policy is a good one. How many other news outlets – FOX News, for instance – have this same policy?
- MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann suspended after donating to Dems (chicagonow.com)
- Keith Olbermann Suspended Indefinitely From MSNBC Over Donations (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Keith Olbermann Suspended From MSNBC (buzzfeed.com)
- Keith Olbermann Suspended from MSNBC (cbsnews.com)
- Olbermann suspended indefinitely without pay (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Olbermann suspended by MSNBC (dailykos.com)
- Buh Bye Keith Olbermann (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Olbermann Suspended from MSNBC for Campaign Donations (observer.com)
- Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay (huffingtonpost.com)
- MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann Suspended After Contributing To Three Democrats (blogs.forbes.com)
- Keith Olbermann suspended over political donations (msnbc.msn.com)