Mr. Trump, who is best known for his TV reality show “The Apprentice,” is evidently dismayed by the failure of his GOP debate scheduled for later this month – only two Republican candidates have agreed to participate, everyone else declined.
Always the publicity hound, Donald Trump has attempted to keep his name in the news by portraying himself as a major influence in American politics. His debate, which will be televised two days after Christmas on ION network, was supposed to mark his power to name the GOP nominee.
Acting as “moderator,” Mr. Trump was supposed endorse his choice for president immediately afterward. GOP bigwigs including Karl Rove came out against Mr. Trump, some likening his plans to a circus.
All Republican candidates – except front-runner Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum – have declined to participate. Some, like Mitt Romney, have been polite about it; some, like Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul, spelled out their disapproval.
Mr. Trump should go back to his television show and be happy with that. Perhaps after the GOP selects its nominee, he can have the rest of them appear on a special GOP version of “The Apprentice.” In other words, don’t try to turn our political system into entertainment. Even though some of these candidates are a joke, the office of the president is serious and should be respected as such!
- Donald Trump looks into canceling GOP debate he’s set to host – New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)
- GOP Candidate: Being ‘Afraid’ Of Trump Is ‘Weak’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Should Republican Presidential Candidates Participate in Donald Trump’s Debate? (usnews.com)
- Donald Trump-moderated debate will be a lonely affair (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Romney Dumps Trump Debate — But Still Runs Risk Of Receiving Trump’s Endorsement (huffingtonpost.com)
- Donald Trump to moderate GOP presidential debate – USA Today (content.usatoday.com)
- Karl Rove Blasts Donald Trump, Says He’s Trivializing The Election Process (mediaite.com)
- Donald Trump Reviews His Day In The News: ‘I’m A Ratings Machine,” Gingrich Is A ‘Rocket Ship’ (mediaite.com)
- On Today Show, Matt Lauer Asks Trump Whether GOP Debate Will Be ‘All About Donald Trump’ (mediaite.com)
- Donald Trump won’t wear jeans (ugly sweaters are another story) (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Michele Bachmann (R-Mars) Bails on Donald Trump (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Hypocrites! Rick Santorum Calls Out Candidates Skipping Donald Trump Debate (mediaite.com)
- Donald Trump Hosting GOP Debate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Politics as Reality TV (themoderatevoice.com)
- Jon Stewart On Donald Trump Debate: ‘Thank You Jesus!’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rick Horowitz: Trump Says “Jump!” (They Say “How High?”) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Donald Trump Is a Perfect Ringmaster for the GOP 2012 Circus (alwaysquestionauthority.wordpress.com)
- Donald Trump And Newt Gingrich Meeting In New York (huffingtonpost.com)
- Will Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum be the only GOP candidates at Donald Trump’s Iowa debate? (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Donald Trump Blasts Michele Bachmann For Bailing On Debate: ‘It’s Called Loyalty’ (mediaite.com)
- The Donald Trump Debate is All About Donald Trump (usnews.com)
- Mitt Romney Needs To Turn Down The Trump Debate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Sarah Palin Calls Trump Debate ‘Appealing’ (huffingtonpost.com)