In what was clearly a political decision, Komen had dropped Planned Parenthood because they claimed that it was “under investigation.” Actually the “investigation” is coming from only one far-right member of Congress. Komen’s vice-president was a former candidate for Georgia governor (she lost) who ran on a far-right platform claiming that she would shut down Planned Parenthood. It’s no coincidence that a few months later, in her capacity to make decisions for Komen, that she went after Planned Parenthood.
After dropping Planned Parenthood, many long-time donators to Komen immediately dropped their support, outraged at the decision. Members of Congress came out against the decision asserting how politics is endangering the health of women. New York’s Mayor Bloomberg said he would pitch in major funding to help Planned Parenthood.
“We want to apologize to the American public,” the Komen foundation said in today’s statement. Apologize? Less than twenty-four hours ago, your spokeperson was still defending your decision.
The real reason Komen backed off is because this ti
me the people won. When Komen realized it was on the losing end and stood to lose millions in funding, that’s why they reversed themselves.
- Candy Dish: Susan G. Komen VS Planned Parenthood (collegecandy.com)
- Soledad O’Brien To Planned Parenthood President Over Komen Controversy: ‘It’s Like Cat Fighting’ (mediaite.com)
- Komen Changes Reason for Planned Parenthood Cuts (newser.com)
- Komen changes story 180 degrees on why they defunded Planned Parenthood (americablog.com)
- Susan G. Komen Group Withdraws Planned Parenthood Funding (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Susan G. Komen Cuts Grants To Planned Parenthood (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Shifting stories bring more woe to Susan G. Komen for the Cure (dailykos.com)
- Planned Parenthood receives pledges from supporters (mnn.com)
- Komen CT Won’t Pull Planned Parenthood Funding (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- MSNBC’s O’Donnell Interviews Planned Parenthood’s Richards on Komen Scandal (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Planned Parenthood Sees Support After Komen Decision (abcnews.go.com)
- Komen Website Hacked, Planned Parenthood Rakes in Donations, and News Surfaces That Komen Official Resigned Over Decision | AlterNet (faktensucher.wordpress.com)
- Komen for the Cure faces backlash over cut to Planned Parenthood breast-screening grants (nj.com)
- Susan G. Komen Foundation Promotes Pink Guns Following Planned Parenthood Controversy(inquisitr.com)