According to a front-page article in the New York Times today (Dispute Over Labeling of Genetically Modified Food – NYTimes.com.), grass roots efforts are urging ballot measures to force food manufacturers to label foods that contain GMO’s or Genetically Modified Organisms. GMO’s are more than just “the selective breeding process used in nearly all crops,” according the NY Times, GMO crops “contain DNA derived from bacteria.”
Although experts tell the rest of us that GMO’s pose no harm, the controversy is not going away. Rather, it is our right to know what we’re ingesting in our foods that’s critical. GMO’s are already required to be labeled in Europe. But commercial farmers and biotech companies are fighting labeling here because labeling “might lead consumers to reject genetically modified food…without understanding” it, according to the NY Times article.
In California, a labeling initiative will most likely be on the ballot in November having “cleared a crucial hurdle this month,” the NY Times says.
For a list of foods that contain GMO’s go here: List of GMO foods.
For a list of non-GMO foods go here: Center For FOOD SAFETY – you can also download a free Food Shopper’s Guide and an iPhone app.
- Richmond passes ban on genetically engineered crops (blogs.vancouversun.com)
- Richmond passes ban on genetically engineered crops (vancouversun.com)
- Guest Article: How to Determine If Foods At The Grocery Store Are Genetically Modified (frugalrecipes.wordpress.com)
- What Does “Genetically Modified Food” Mean? (healthinsurancequotes.org)
- Super Important GMO links (organicurbanfarmgirl.com)
- The Best Ironic Statement GMO Foods: Why We Shouldn’t Label (Or Worry About) Genetically Modified Products (sunnyromy.wordpress.com)
- Richmond bans genetically modified plants (theprovince.com)
- “Magic Soap” Maker David Bronner on Labeling Genetically Modified Food, Fair Trade, the War on Hemp (democracynow.org)
- Great Infograph on Genetically Modified Food Labeling (foodworksblog.wordpress.com)
- New Research Reveals Challenges in Genetically Engineered Crop Regulatory Process (seeddaily.com)
- Frankenfish 2: Attack of the Genetically Engineered Salmon (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- Biochemistry in 1989: Genetic Engineering (Gene Therapy) (egrejeen.wordpress.com)
- Biochemistry in 1989: Genetic Engineering (Speeding Wound Healing) (egrejeen.wordpress.com)
- An Entrepreneur Bankrolls a Genetically Engineered Salmon (junkscience.com)
- The Potential Harm and Benefits of Genetically Modified Food (socyberty.com)
- The Drug Shock of the Year – FDA Approved, But Beware (articles.mercola.com)
- 4 Tips to Avoid Foods Made with Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) (befitwithkristen.com)
- Ask the FDA to Ban Genetically Engineered Salmon by Food & Water Watch (socialactions.net)
- Richmond mulls middle ground in fight against genetically engineered crops (blogs.vancouversun.com)
- Frankenfoods at Whole Foods (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- GMO crops and their “superweeds” (thebovine.wordpress.com)
- Connecticut Nixes Labeling From Genetically Engineered Food Bill (junkscience.com)
- Controlling Our Food | A Documentary On Genetically Modified Foods GMO’s (downtownlocal.me)