CNN is reporting that the House leadership has reached a compromise “deal” with fiscally conservative blue dog Democrats on health care reform, even though they agree that there will be no final vote on the measure “until Fall,” according to CNN.
The House is trying to achieve some modicum of success on the controversial health care measure before they leave for recess next week and face their voters at home. Meanwhile President Obama continues his town-hall meeting tour in his attempt to put people at ease about the legislation which, if passed, could cost taxpayers $2 trillion or more inside a decade.
At the same time, the president’s personal physician is saying that the current legislation will fail. Dr. David Scheiner, who was Obama’s personal physician for more than two decades, predicts that the legislation “is bound for failure,” according to Sam Stein of The Huffington Post. Obama’s doctor is a fan of a single-payer health care system which would end private health insurance and make the government the sole payer for all health care. His criticism, according to the Huff Post article, cites Obama’s “pragmatism” to the political reality that Americans with private health care would be unwilling to give up their policies in favor of government-run health-care.
Links to Huff Post article:
Read the current legislation for yourself:
1. House Energy & Commerce Committee Legislation: http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1687&catid=156&Itemid=55
2. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: http://help.senate.gov/
More Info on health-care reform legislation:
1. Kaiser Family Foundation Info: http://www.kff.org/
2. White House, President’s remarks to AARP: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-in-AARP-Tele-Town-Hall-on-Health-Care-Reform/
3. Wall Street Journal Q & A: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203609204574318132550338334.html?mod=googlenews_wsj