Virginia‘s Governor Bob McDonnell is now reversing his decision to sign into law the ultrasound law which would have forced a mandatory probe on any woman seeking an abortion. This reversal is apparently political after nationwide outrage threatened to destroy any chance for GOP success next fall.
Virginia’s Republican-controlled legislature passed a bill which would have forced women to endure a vaginal ultrasound probe without her consent. Opponents claim this mandatory procedure, without consent, fits the legal definition of rape.
Nationwide, protest was swift and unrelenting but not just against McDonnell and Virginia’s lawmakers. Women, including conservative women, were rethinking any support of GOP candidates in the fall elections.
But don’t think that McDonnell and his agenda are going to go away after this. McDonnell and his GOP legislature still have the “person-hood” law on the table. It’s the same law that failed miserably in Colorado and Mississippi (a really red state) and would ban almost all forms of contraception including the birth control pill.
- Bob McDonnell, Felony Sexual Penetration, & Virginia’s Proposed Ultrasound Bill (bilerico.com)
- “Object sexual penetration is a serious sex crime in Virginia. It is very difficult to look at the…” (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Bill requiring ultrasound before abortion nears vote (mercurynews.com)
- Virginia Bill Requiring Ultrasound Before Abortion Nears Vote (nytimes.com)
- Virginia Protests Having Impact (lezgetreal.com)
- Virginia’s state-sanctioned rape bill vote postponed (dailykos.com)
- Here Is the “Dildonic” Device Women Seeking An Abortion in Virginia Will Have to Endure (NSFW) [Nsfw] (gizmodo.com)
- Silent Protest Outside, Virginia House Puts Off Ultrasound Vote (crooksandliars.com)
- Virginia to require ultrasound for abortion (feministphilosophers.wordpress.com)
- GOP Pushing Mandatory Invasive Ultrasound Legislation in Pennsylvania Too (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Jon Stewart Explains Privacy and Liberty to Virginia’s Transvaginal Ultrasound-Wielding Governor [Video] (gawker.com)
- Virginia’s Ultrasound Law Would Require Forcible Penetration for Women Seeking Abortions [Abortions] (gawker.com)
- You: Virginia holds back on abortion ultrasound bill (france24.com)
- Vagina Is For Probers (slog.thestranger.com)