Rick Santorum ended his campaign today from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. In a long, sometimes tearful speech, Santorum said that “it’s over for me.” He said the decision was a “family decision” made “over the kitchen table.” Santorum was expected to return to the campaign trail today in plenty of time for the Pennsylvania primary on the 24th. Instead, he used the Gettysburg event for a press conference to end his presidential campaign.
Santorum had taken several days off to tend to his three-year-old daughter who was hospitalized because of a genetic condition. This has been the second time this year Santorum left the trail.
Mitt Romney released a statement, according to CNN, “congratulating” Rick Santorum on a well-rum campaign. Although Gingrich and Paul are still in the race, Mitt Romney will now be the GOP presidential candidate, unless something spectacular happens.
Santorum summed up his campaign using the phrase “against all odds” citing the fact that “we won 11 states.” The math, however, wasn’t there for Santorum whose chances of winning home state Pennsylvania were iffy at best.
- Smart, Human Romney Decision on Pennsylvania Anti-Santorum Ads (themoderatevoice.com)
- Campaign says Santorum’s daughter is recovering (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- Campaign says Santorum’s daughter is recovering (newsok.com)
- Spokesman Says Santorum Will Continue (myfoxny.com)
- Spokesman Says Santorum Will Continue (myfoxorlando.com)
- Daily Santorum: Project Petrus (earlyreturns.sites.post-gazette.com)
- Rick Santorum to stay with ailing daughter Monday (pennlive.com)
- Santorum Campaign To Continue (myfoxorlando.com)
- Santorum Campaign To Continue (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Rick Santorum Will Not Campaign Monday To Tend To Sick Daughter Bella In The Hospital (businessinsider.com)
- Santorum cancels Monday events after daughter hospitalized (thehill.com)
- Santorum Campaign To Continue (myfoxny.com)
- Romney Campaign Pulls Anti-Santorum Ad In Pennsylvania While Daughter Bella Is Hospitalized (mediaite.com)
- Romney Camp Pulls Negative Ads in Pa. (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Romney Camp Pulls Negative Ads in Pa. (myfoxorlando.com)
- Romney Camp Pulls Negative Ads in Pa. (myfoxny.com)
- Spokesman Says Santorum Will Continue (myfoxphoenix.com)